Servicemembers on "active duty" or "active service," or a spouse or dependent of such a servicemember, may be entitled to certain legal protections and debt relief pursuant to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (50 USC App. §§ 501-597b) (SCRA).
Who May Be Entitled to Legal Protections Under the SCRA?
- Regular members of the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force Marine Corps and Coast Guard).
- Reserve and National Guard personnel who have been activated and are on Federal active duty.
- National Guard personnel under a call or order to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days under section 502(f) of title 32, United States Code, for purposes of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by Federal funds.
- Active servicemembers of the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Certain United States citizens serving with the armed forces of a nation with which the United States is allied in the prosecution of a war or military action.
SCRA Benefits and Protections
Servicemembers eligible for SCRA benefits have certain rights and protections with regard to their financial obligations. Servicemembers can cap their interest rate at 6 percent for debt obligations if they obtained the loan prior to their entry into active military duty. The interest rate reductions are temporary, and rates will return to the originally contracted rate at the end of the active military duty (or after a longer period, as provided by law for certain loans). Also, the difference between 6 percent and the servicemembers’ originally contracted rate during their term of active service will be forgiven. Additionally, eligible service members will automatically receive protection from repossession, default judgments, eviction and foreclosure.
Military Service Orders
If you have been called to active military service, or are the spouse, partner in civil union, domestic partner, or financial dependent of a person who has been called to active military service, and you haven’t notified us of your status, please send us your active duty military documentation through:
- Reliable Auto Service Centers located in San Juan, Ponce, and Isabela, operating Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal Address: Reliable Auto, PO Box 21382, San Juan, PR 00928-1382.
If you have additional questions, please contact us through Reliable Auto’s automated service, TeleDirecto, at (787) 523-0000 which is available:
- Monday through Thursday 8:30am – 6:30pm
- Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am – 12:30pm
If you have additional questions regarding relief under the SCRA, you may want to contact your superior officer, Judge Advocate General (JAG) officer, personal attorney or visit the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act website at https://scra.dmdc.osd.mil/scra/#/home